Over the weekend, Marvel Studios made a trip to Anaheim for Disney’s D23 expo. After not making an appearance at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel gave those lucky enough to attend D23 a sneak peak at the beginning of Phase 3. The roughly 8,000 people in attendance got exclusive looks at footage from Captain America: Civil War and concept art for Doctor Strange.
A few days have passed since the event, and unlike Comic-Con and other events, there have been no leaked videos or photos of what was shown. We were not lucky enough to be in attendance, but plenty of others have shared what they saw. If you were unable to attend or did not keep up with the constant updates on Twitter, we have rounded up all of the reports to give a thorough breakdown of what was shown.
Marvel kicked off their presentation by talking about the second Phase 3 film, Doctor Strange. Kevin Feige has talked in length about the tone and look that it will have with director Scott Derrickson at the helm, reaffirming that it’ll be another unique entry into the MCU.
They started off by confirming that Tilda Swinton and Chiwetel Ejiofor will play The Ancient One and Karl Baron Zemo, respectively. They moved on to show a clip of Benedict Cumberbatch talking about what we can expect.
They preceded to show concept art of the world in Doctor Strange including different dimensions, the Avengers tower, and buildings moving similar to scenes from Inception.
There was also a look at some concept art of Cumberbatch in his Doctor Strange attire. He reportedly has a big red cape, similar to the comics with darker tones across the rest of the outfit.
According to another report, Strange will be monitored by S.H.I.E.L.D. during a portion of the movie.
It also appears that Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans could make appearances in Doctor Strange according to this tweet.
— Laura Prudom (@LauInLA) August 15, 2015
Captain America: Civil War
Following the Doctor Strange part of the panel, Feige welcomed Anthony Mackie and Chris Evans on to the stage. The dynamic duo had just gotten off a plane from Germany, where Captain America: Civil War is currently filming.
Feige went on to reveal that Civil War has just one week of filming remaining. Marvel always does reshoots a few months after, which are always scheduled in advance, so actors will likely report back to Atlanta later this year. He also said that Civil War is the end of the Captain America trilogy and called it the “culmination of everything that has come before in the Cinematic Universe.”
Mackie and Evans introduced the first ever footage for Civil War and io9 broke down what was shown. Here are some quick points.
Warning: Potential SPOILERS for Captain America: Civil War below.
- Cap, Black Widow, and Falcon are on the hunt for Crossbones.
- Falcon deploys his drone “Redwing” that he has complete control of.
- Crossbones shoots a bomb at Cap.
- Crossbones tells Cap that Bucky remembers his old pal.
- Thunderbolt Ross says, “The world owed you an unplayable debt. People see you as a hero. There are some who prefer the word vigilante—people are afraid.”
- Cap says, “This job, you try to save as many as we can. Sometimes that doesn’t mean everyone.”
- Post credit scene from Ant-Man is shown, Cap asks Bucky if he remembers him and he responds with, “Your mother’s name was Sara.”
- “What would you call a group of enhanced individuals who inflict their will anywhere their choose?”
- Stark says, “We have no boundaries. We’re no better than the bad guys. Is that how you see protection?”
- Cap says, “Sometimes the safest hands are still our own.”
- Stark says to Cap, “Sometimes I want to punch you in your perfect teeth.”
- Martin Freeman shown in room with monitors.
- Cap, Bucky, Falcon, Widow, and more shown running on airport tarmac in build up to a fight.
- Hawkeye and Widow fight. She asks if they are still friends and he responds with “It depends on how hard you hit me.”
- Black Panther is show in costume
- Quick looks at Scarlet Witch, Vision, and more
- Shows scene where Ant-Man first meets Cap. Ant-Man stutters, “I know you know a lot of super people, so thinks for thanking of me” before correcting himself.
It does not appear that Marvel will release the footage shown anytime soon but with the film set to wrap next week, we will likely see our first look in a few months. If I had to guess, we could see our first look attached to the season 3 premiere of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or as a special feature with the Avengers: Age of Ultron Blu-Ray/DVD.
Captain America: Civil War is scheduled to hit theaters May 6, 2016.
Doctor Strange is scheduled to hit theaters November 4, 2016.